Thursday, October 23, 2008

OH MY WORD!!!! What a night. I went hunting yesterday. As soon as I sat down in my stand, I looked to my left and saw a deer that had just come out of the trees. It was a young one so I sat there and watched it eat and mosey around. Then, it was so comfortable, it bedded down next to a tree and watched. A little later, a big buck came out on the hill at the back of the property. It milled a couple of minutes and went into the trees. I also saw a red fox go hopping through. Those things a so fun to watch. They don't walk like a dog. They kinda hop as they walk. It was so cute. Well, the young one got up and started milling again. It started to come towards me so I was interested again. It was getting late and it was putting itself into a position for me to have a shot. There is a tee pee made of tree trunks between me and the grape vines and the deer was on the other side of the tee pee. I was able to stalk to within about 25 yards of the deer and it never saw me. I got my bow ready and fired a shot. DDOOOOOOOO! It was closer than I thought. The arrow sailed right over its back. The deer heard my string release the arrow and moved about 15 feet and stopped. It had no idea I was there. THEN, the big buck came out to stand in the same spot as the young one. The young one gave way. I was standing in the open and neither deer new I was there. The wind was right and it was now dark. I tried to find my arrow but a doe that I didn't see was in the trees and she started blowing. That is a very startling sound when you aren't expecting it. I left my arrow and will retrieve it today in the light. It was an amazing night. Even though I did not harvest a deer, it was still a great time in the field. TTFN

No comments: